Thursday, October 19, 2006

One year after graduation...

Hey good people,

It's exactly 6 years since I joined campus and exactly 1 year since graduation. 2 very different yet incredible days. One full of uncertainity as to what lies ahead, one full of joy of conquering what seemed to be an insurmountable mountain. One year down the line, I'm taking stock of what it is I intended to achieve after campus:

  1. Save 100k in my first year of employment: Reality check, some financial difficulties came my family's way so I had to cover big time. The benchmark is even higher for the next 12 months, 25ok. Tutaweza kweli???
  2. Invest: Thank God for Kengen IPO and a personal finance seminar conducted by my employer that gave me the push to go forward. Not to be forgotten are 2 pals who have shambas at home but didn't have enough capital.
  3. Get my dream job (and keep it): Call it luck, grace or favour, I don't know how many can say that they have their dream job, but to get it within a month of graduation, especially after recieving a regret email along the recruitment stage, is anything but a miracle. I enjoy everyday of it!!!

This Sato I'm linking up with my former campus mates for our quarterly nyam chom plot. As the group's moderator (Yahoo! groups thing), I'm of the opinion that we pool our resources (most of us have landed positions in key sectors of the economy - ICT, manufacturing, government, auditing and service industries) and form a research/consultancy/contractor group that can morph into a powerful industry player worldwide in the next 20 years. Call it a dream, but hey, I'm a visionary by nature. It's getting people on board the dream that is the hard part.

  • An update on the social scene. Braces chic is up and walking. Ex version 2.0's birthday was last week. I sent a cursory text, the reply went something like, "I thot by the time I reach 2* you would propose, but I should forget about it by now". Professionalism calls for fighting all urges to reply such a text, which I survived. We bumped into each other jana usiku, as always I play dumb... (I don't really have a choice, do I???)

Last weekend was special in a way. 2 dates, both of which the ladies paid for. I mean, both asked me out so I was the willing guest. I know it's the 21st century and women are more empowered, but it's still considered rude for a jamaa to skive paying the bill. I guess I'm the spoilt type, makes up for the many others where I have to fork out everytime.

It boils down to benefits of singledom, enjoy life without much stress. Lonely periods can be occupied by TV (champions league and premiership), books (I'm currently reading Walk On - The Spiritual Journey of U2) and friends. But it's a crazy world out there...

Thanks to one Jomo Kenyatta, we have a 3 day weekend. Plans? I'm at Carni this evening, company anniversary bash, kesho chill with pals having a rock gig at Ufungamano 6 pm, Sato nyam chom as earlier said, Sunday catch Heartstring play (with whom is yet to be decided). Jienjoy!!!!

3 Comments:

At 10/19/2006 4:58 pm , Blogger Girl in the Meadow said...

Interesting blog you have here. I guess the expectation we have after we leave campus. i am just trying to organize my life now. But i am not very ambitious, i am letting life take its course. Or is it Mr.Fate. Ooh God after reading this, I gotta do something.

On personal finance, READ,READ, Listen,listen, listen, It helps.

 
At 10/19/2006 6:54 pm , Blogger jm said...

Sema:

Congrats . That is the way to keep stuff straightened out. I also recently graduated (May 06) and whereas I am yet to land my dream jobo, stories like this can only be motivation and inspiration...
Very good to see brothas and sista doing so well back home. Keep it up!

 
At 10/23/2006 10:21 am , Blogger mwasjd said...

@ shiroh
Thanks for visiting. It's interesting that you let fate drive your car. But it's better if you dream and go for what your heart desires. Apparently life will only give you what you ask (got that vibe from 'Richest Man in Babylon' and 'Capitalist Nigger'. I'm reading you see???

@ Mwangi:
thanks for being inspired. I wanted to go majuu after high school, figured that my dream job was there, didn't pan out that way but got the best of both worlds, dream job and home. God has a sense of humour...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home