Monday, November 20, 2006

One year of employment

Time surely passes fast. Last week marked one calendar year of formal employment. It's been an interesting period, marked with lots of learning about the corporate world. For a guy who'd just finished his undergraduate studies, these are some of the highlights of the employment world that I've encountered:

1. The 'reply to all' and 'cc' buttons: Two obscure yet dangerous elements of the email world. So much drama when the wrong mail ends up in the wrong hands or a jamaa intentionally cc's the management to get you on the firing line... The interesting one is usually the rookie employees (I'm already a pro after 1 year) who send mails to a whole department asking obscure questions LOL!

2. Making your boss look good: This is an unwritten law that serves the interests of all parties. Any attempt to undercut one's boss results in serious repercussions. It's the same guy who'll sign your performance audit so you'd rather play safe and only shine when they get the gloss and not the shame. Apparently management is 90% political and 10% technical, so getting to grips with culture is a prerequisite. I got the experience of working a couple of weeks under a female boss who's rule is her way or no way...

3. This isn't home: The work place has a way of making itself entrenched into your entire life's being. However, the reality is that this place is temporal. Guys get fired, departments get 'right sized' and blunders, 'domes' or missed targets end up messing people's careers. Playing it safe doesn't work in this setting and it's better for one to invest in diverse sources so that the salo doesn't end up being the only bread winner month in month out.

4. The sky is as high as you set it: Opportunity exists everywhere, the most important thing is to be keen enough to smell it out. Someone said something like "Opportunity doesn't knock on the door, it stands silently outside. The key is knowing and opening the door at the right time!" I've seen guys who figured out that contractors were being paid outrageous sums of cash for work they could do in their sleep, so they quit and became contractors themselves. Others were offered international opportunities by colleagues they befriended while working on joint projects. Others got opportunities by virtue of volunteering in CSR activities. The list is endless, it's just the eyes and the mind to see...
5. Lose yourself: It's hard to maintain integrity especially when colleagues all around look for every opportunity to fleece the organization. Choices are tough to make plus lifestyles are so diverse, especially when guys are out of the office mould. I guess it's all about identity, who you are, whether or not guys are watching. I still haven't found a reason to drop the faith though.

All in all, it's been fun and enjoying every moment of it. How long will I be here, the contract says 3 more years, guess better make the most of every day. At least I get something to blog about...

9 Comments:

At 11/24/2006 2:07 pm , Blogger gishungwa said...

Bring out the vodka sorry champagne LOl. I hear you jus made a year myself

 
At 11/26/2006 4:51 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its amazing how you seem to have mastered the art of ass-kissing and corporate politics in sucha short time. Hope despite having an employment contract what you've learnt this far will take u faaaarrrr....

 
At 11/27/2006 9:01 am , Blogger Juju said...

bliss is having a job u enjoy!! one that u cant wait to get to every morning. one in which you dont realise how fast time flies... that surely is bliss!! So far, I have been lucky coz I am a workaholic, and godforbid I land a job I dont like!! cheers to your first year on the job!!

 
At 11/27/2006 3:15 pm , Blogger mwasjd said...

@gish
I'll drink to that. Celebration time c'mon...

@anon
It's the only way to go in this cut-throat place. Getting to grips with the rules keeps you on the way up and not out.

@majonzi
I enjoy the job particularly coz I'm on a graduate trainee stint so I don't necessarily 'work' just learn what other people do and give suggestions (reports) on process improvement. I'm also addicted to the work place (free internet not withstanding) and must admit that it's not bad at all. No regrets, giving thanks to God daily...

 
At 11/28/2006 3:46 pm , Blogger POTASH said...

You are one yeart closer to becoming a yuppie.. enjoy the ride, so christmas bonus utaibloia wapi... mhh this is a a good "young Kenyan Man" he gots jobses.. i want

 
At 11/28/2006 9:21 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/07/10-reasons-you-should-never-get-a-job/

 
At 11/29/2006 5:08 pm , Blogger mwasjd said...

@Potash:
thanks for the cheer. Christmas bonus is still uncertain but chances are it will go into stock market. I'm addicted...

@Anon
I checked out the link, thanks. Hope that I'll get to the self income generating zone in my 30's, for now, I like my job and I'll learn the most to enable me leave gracefully and get paid for my knowledge like the contractors!!!

 
At 12/14/2006 12:55 pm , Blogger jke said...

LOL! One year of surving for the fittest! :-)

(i am glad i quit working in an office)

 
At 12/14/2006 8:28 pm , Blogger mwasjd said...

@Juergen

Survival is a bit harsh of a word, but that's what it is. One day, I hope I'll be the one employing, and not confined to a workspace. Tonight I'm on night shift, 7 pm to 7 am!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home