Friday, November 16, 2007

2nd Anniversary



Two years down the line since I first arrived here. Clean shaven & in a tie. How things have changed, I wear more jeans than semi-formal and my hair is prime for short locks (coming soon). Then I was polite and formal and green. Now I'm a mix of easy going and well known. (I could run for councillor...)



Highlight
Completed the management training program and got posted to entry level techie. Good since it gives me mileage for future career moves. But I'm left behind by the guys who went technical straight. I'll need a few years before I'm up to scratch, but at that time will I still be management oriented? I actually like the technical path - more flexible, new things to learn, more stability, less stress (but less pay?) etc.

Lessons learned:
From last time's anniversary, it seems I got the email thing down, but clashed with my current boss yesterday. We haven't been on friendly terms since (formal emails and requests) but this too will pass.
More guys have moved on, and new ones come in, which is a friendly reminder that I should plan my exit (advice from a HR Manager - always have your exit date in your head; what do I need to have attained by then?) A bright note was that I sent to a colleague a job application for an international posting I came across in the East African and she got it!!! That was just way too cool!

Current situation
MT was a dream job. Tech is a bit different. It started out polite, went crazy. But in the past month, it's mellowed out as the new guys got the hang of things and my weekends became free once again. Not much outlook on promotion, it's just gonna be 2 more years of sloughing it out to be the best. That is quite a journey. But I'm grateful to be here, and wouldn't want to change it for now, despite the usual feelings when things go haywire.

Parting shot:
"The crowning fortune of a man is to be born to some pursuit which finds him employment and happiness, whether it be to make baskets, or broad swords, or canals, or statues, or songs" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 11/19/2007 6:16 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those of us who have been watching are proud to be associated...i assure you if you check your skills + degree into a couple of other countries you will get mad attention. www.careerjunction.co.za is one good place to put your CV and to check out what sort of jobs you could get.

 
At 11/21/2007 3:35 pm , Blogger Amelia said...

i like the parting shot.i have employment but not hapiness and i know its not easy being greatful for employment when you're not happy.glad u like your job.keep us posted.

 
At 11/25/2007 9:31 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steadman Cooking up Numbers.

A casual addition of President Kibaki’s support per province as released on Friday then divided by eight (the number of provinces) showed that Kibaki had scored 39.5 per cent, Raila had 47.6 while Kalonzo had 8.5 per cent.

http://eastandard.net/news/?id=1143977974&cid=159

Presidential voting by province
Province Kibaki Raila kalonzo
Nairobi 46.3 39.3 12.1
Central 92.8 5.0 2.0
Coast 34.7 51.5 9.7
Eastern 48.9 6.1 43.8
Nyanza 11.9 85.3 1.8
Rift Valley 39.3 55.8 3.9
Western 20.7 72.8 1.4
North Eastern32.2 64.4 3.4
Total 43.2 43.6 11.4

Kibaki average: 46.3+92.8+34.7+48.9+11.9+39.3+20.7+32.2=326.8/8 = 40.85

Raila averages: 39.3+5.0+51.5+6.1+85.3+55.8+72.8+64.4=380.0/8 =47.525


The weighting has already been taken care of by using a representative sample size based on registered voters per province. The larger the registered population in a province the larger the sample size!

That means that the results can be deduced by simple addition and division in two ways:

1. Because the sample sizes have been weighted you can add the total number of votes of each presidential candidate and divide by the total votes to get the percentage of the candidate!
2. Because the sampling has been weighted you can add the percentage provincial totals of each candidate and divide by the number of provinces.

 
At 11/28/2007 8:18 pm , Blogger mwasjd said...

@sis
Thanks for watching. I'm not sure about changing jobs (stress means I think about it sometimes) but need to work on a few more certs.

@mona
Happiness is a state of mind, me thinks. But I guess that sometimes some jobs are a drag. Cheers for the post.

@patriot
Thank you for the information. Unfortunately this is the wrong post.

 
At 12/01/2007 11:56 am , Blogger pesa tu said...

@mwasjd: Congrats and happy 21nd Anniversary.
My life's path is analogous to yours.Just got confirmed.Dealing with the usual org. politics at present but should clear it.

 
At 12/08/2007 4:47 pm , Blogger mwasjd said...

@Pesa tu
Congrats on the confirmation. I'm sure the ride will be less rough going forward. I'm way behind you on all counts but for now will keep moving forward. Cheers!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home