Saturday, June 16, 2007

Chronicles of Belgium (& a bit of France)

So sad but my 2 weeks in Belgium will be over in 6 hours time. But, due to public demand, here is a bit more on maisha in Ubelgiji. For starters, it is quite a lovely place, as I'd said earlier. Due to the well organized infrastructure, and being the capital of the EU, Brussels is a classy place. Here are some of the sights i.e. Grand Place and the Atomium (a must visit - awesome).

Brussels isn't the cleanest of places (lots of cigarette butts dropped in every street), but I finally understood what's all the hullabaloo about road reserves, bypasses and overpasses. When you see them in good use, especially with the well organized bus and tram services, then it makes sense for Nairobi city to get a master plan ASAP.

Another nice thing about Brussels is that it's just 300 km from Paris. 4 of us coughed 100 Euros each to have the cab driver drive us there and take us round the major sites. I'm sure that Ksh 9300 will never in a lifetime deliver the whole day experience that is Paris. Travelling by road (at 150 kph) isn't that fast, but when you are in a Peugeot 807, confort is far better than economy class flight. And since there are no border checks on the roads, no meetings with nasty immigration officials. Here are a few sights:


Disclaimer: Yes she's happily married. No, I'm not running towards her. Wait, Maybe, I think...



Surprisingly, a few guys mistook me for a local both in Brussels and Paris. This evening, met two women looking for an African restaurant that happened to be across the road from my hotel. As I showed them the place, I asked them whether they were Africans, and they replied yes. Then one of them asked me my country of origin. When I said Kenya, she switched to Coast swahili! Apparently she used to work at KPA kitambo before immigrating these sides with the husband. Yaani, this world is quite small...

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

At 6/16/2007 9:38 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely photos, and then you had to feature in them eh, starring mwas....

That 807 enyewe looks rather bland but for a long trip comfort is what counts...150 kph on a potholed road feels fast, trust me!! eheheh!! thanks for sharing the sights. :-)

 
At 6/16/2007 12:33 pm , Blogger BrokenStreetLight said...

now now.the world is truly small!

 
At 6/16/2007 1:17 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mwas,
good to know you are getting to know the world pole pole......now whatever you do pls do bring me chocolate................don't you dare forget.
Otherwise enjoy your good self and take care.

 
At 6/16/2007 5:15 pm , Blogger The Black Mamba said...

100 euros return trip to Paris is a steal. Was this a normal taxi or a minicab (illegally operated taxi)?

 
At 6/18/2007 9:55 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coughing €100,00 for a trip to Paris from brussels & back on a taxi is a fairdeal not unless you use eurolines which charge €20,00 for a return trip.Next time try Thalys fast train.

 
At 6/19/2007 9:50 am , Blogger odegle said...

those are very nice pictures. it looks like they dont have any grass or trees over there?

 
At 6/20/2007 1:11 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

yaaaaani yuo are already back!!!!!!!!!

 
At 6/21/2007 5:10 pm , Blogger mwasjd said...

@aegeus
Anyone can download pics from the net saying they went abroad. I needed solid proof...
As for 807, it was cruising, the driver was on point. And huko hakuna potholes, yaani I struggled looking for them!

@boyflani
Didn't believe it. And it gets worse, wait for the next post.

@anon
Catch me if you can - for chocolate, coz trust me you have lots of compe

@ssem
It was a normal taxi with the driver organizing his own deal

@anon
Consider that it was a whole day drive being taken to all major sites in Paris. But anyway, thanks for the tip.

@odegle
Trees and grass are found in public parks and companies that have big compounds. Otherwise, they plant trees along the pavement like CBD

@anon
eeh, not exactly...

 
At 6/22/2007 8:50 am , Blogger Jadekitten said...

Been a while since I was here, heck, been a while since I was anywhere. It's great to see you're having (lemme recheck the date of this post) oh, sorry, had such a FAB time...

Haiya, ati chocolate is up for grabs. I WANT!!!

:-)

 
At 6/26/2007 5:40 pm , Blogger mwasjd said...

@Jade
Good to hear from you, umepotea kiasi. For the chocs, join the queue...

 
At 6/27/2007 9:18 am , Blogger Unknown said...

lol nice posts but u should have tried the train but at least you had fun and thanks for the hit.

 
At 6/27/2007 4:34 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

maaan i should've met you and saved you 400euros..man, thats a fortune lol but then again,i'd have made you take the train (12Euros) at Gare du Midi hapo brussels then got my gals to zungusha you lol not the Peugot comfort but still!

Anyway, Brussels and Paris are as beautiful as you made it sound.Nice pics!

 
At 6/29/2007 5:40 pm , Blogger mwasjd said...

@kipusa
Thanks for the counter hit. I've been hitting an average of 4 trains daily for the last 2 weeks where I am. Next post reveals all...

@betty
Thanks for showing up late with the deal. I'll definately get in touch next time I'm these sides.

 
At 7/02/2007 3:37 pm , Blogger gishungwa said...

I love the pics, looks like oyu had loads of fun. Pray you back safely?

 
At 7/10/2007 9:10 am , Blogger mwasjd said...

@gish:
Yes I'm back, and already forgetting that I was having so much fun, what with the work at hand!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home