Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Earthquake Journals

Juzi 5.00 pm
I'm at the IT Help area sorting out a virus issue on my laptop. The chair starts shaking, then the walls. I look around and everyone is agitated. While no one dives under chairs, guys are a bit tense and when it ends, we all look outside, make phone calls and vibe. Turns out most guys in the other wing left the building in a hurry once the tremors ensued.



Jana 6.15 am
I'm woken up by a text message from a good pal. She states that someone has sent her a text saying that CNN has announced that a major earthquake will hit Nairobi in the next hour. I continue sleeping.

Jana 6.30 am
A neighbour (one of the estate committee members) knocks on our door. He says that he's been contacted by a pal that there's gonna be an earthquake within the hour. He wants us to warn our upstairs neighbours. I'm not moved but my sis being the kind neighbour insists that we promised the jamaa. It's not the best sight seeing your neighbours in their sleep clothes, but we do the necessary. Hard questions such as "What is the Govt doing about this?" and "You've seen it on CNN?" are asked and ambitious guesses given in return.

Jana 7.30 am
Leave for work. Have scrolled through BBC, CNN, SKY, Euronews and Al Jazeera. Nothing on earthquake, rather aircrash in Sau Paulo. Many neighbours (still in night gear) are still outside the apartment blocks, WAITING!!!!

Since then:
1. Numerous emails and forwards on quakes.
2. Neighbourhood committee pastes on eastate walls disaster guide on quakes
3. All conversations eventually have something to do with quakes
4. First 15 minutes of news is all about quakes

CONCLUSION:
1. It seems I'm not so afraid of dying at the moment.
2. Many people are.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 7/23/2007 1:34 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

pole but you have been tagged. check my blog for more details.
http://kipusa.blogspot.com/2007/07/tagged-again.html

 
At 7/24/2007 10:48 am , Blogger Jadekitten said...

The fact that I was unfazed by all the quake drama musta meant either I'm just not scared of dying, like you. No, wait, I am scared of dying, I guess it was just plain dumb-ness that drove me into hysterics any time those things shook the building...he he.

And, yes, you been tagged, AGAIN. See my blod for more details :-)

 
At 7/30/2007 1:26 pm , Blogger mwasjd said...

@kipusa:
I thought I'm immune from this tagging business. I will definately check, but watch your back from now on...

@jade:
Atleast you know how your desk looks from under. LOL!
And what's with this tagging business all of a sudden???

 
At 11/11/2008 10:07 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home