Sunday, March 01, 2009

Adventures in Obamaland

After 4 weeks of a superb holiday, I'm back in the country. Still dealing with jet lag, but feeling very rested. Infact I've added weight, which is a pleasant surprise. I figure it's more to do with the absence of job related stress than the food, considering we were living on a Kenyan diet mostly.



So some highlights from the vacation:
- I didn't see Obama. Or Bush, despite the fact I was in Texas.
- Missed the sevens tournament in San Diego, but still had fun, posed in dream cars at the Dallas Car Show, and caught beads during the Mardi Gras parade. And finally got to figure out American Football, watching the Superbowl is the premier social event!
- You can actually have too many ads on TV. Spoils the watching experience entirely once you've gotten over the creativity bit.
- I've finally figured out the slow internet myth. It's all due to where the server is located. Opening yahoo and facebook is superfast but try nation or stockskenya, so slow!!!
- Recession is a reality. Companies shutting down, mortgage foreclosures, layoffs etc.
- Despite the domes in Runda, our best bet is in roads. I was impressed with the multi lanes (including a dedicated lane for high occupancy vehicles i.e. more than one person), massive interchanges (instead of stifling roundabouts) and general all round organization. Despite this they still have traffic jam especially going to downtown, and taking the train is the more convenient option.
- Telecoms have gone a long way. I was roaming on my local line during that period and 30 minutes talk time and some 60 odd texts cost only 5k.
- Being Kenyan is something good actually, when you are in another country. The community is so vibrant, you can attend a Kenyan church, go to a Kenyan club, and pretty much have your entire social circle being all Kenyan all the time!
- And finally, let's just say I've overcomplicated my social status. Details will not be broadcasted but in short new competition has shaken the incumbent up from their slumber...

So back to work for another 11 gruelling months ahead. With South America, Ocenia and Asia left, I wonder where the next vacation will lead me to.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 3/02/2009 7:30 pm , Blogger KK said...

Glad to hear u enjoyed your vaca... and usijali about not seeing Obama, or Bush... I am yet to see either all these years I've been living here. Maybe I should make that a goal of sorts.

 
At 3/03/2009 3:11 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back!!!Youve added weight???!!!Seeing is believing!!!

 
At 3/11/2009 2:12 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We miss the ugali you cooked!

 
At 3/29/2009 7:07 pm , Blogger mwasjd said...

@KK
Cheers! I know it's not so easy, I can't say I've met Kibaki, shook Raila's hand once in 05. So it isn't a real big deal.

@Sandra
You saw me, but the weight is already gone. Stress ya kazi and other issues...

@Anon
You'll get a taste of it when you visit next year. Salamu to my nephew.

 
At 3/30/2009 12:26 pm , Blogger Cee said...

Great post, seems u had a great time in the US....will visit your blog more often very interesting and captivating

 
At 3/30/2009 5:27 pm , Blogger Mo said...

Traveling's BEYOND fun! Welcome back.

 
At 4/07/2009 1:38 pm , Blogger mwasjd said...

@Cee
Cheers. Very welcome.

@Mo
You said it. Fun to the extreme!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home